Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Look Who's Dancin'

So after 15 years I've finally dusted off the ballet shoes (actually I invested in new ones, the old one had holes in the toes) I found a friend who handed graced a barre in 6 years and we signed up for a community Adult ballet class.

Now, let me tell you, "Adult ballet" can mean many things. My friend Elana thought it might mean a bunch of spry 18-20 year olds who were caught between graduating their dance schools and the real world. I was a little worried that it might be a bunch of geriatrics out trying on a tutu for the first time.

Thankfully it was neither. It is a class of late twenty to thirty-somethings dusting their off their own dance shoes.

So in loving memory of my early beginnings...a tribute...bare with me now...



Notice that arabesque? Not planned. That is innate talent right there. I'll admit I was not cut out for jock life. I was extremely puny as a youngster and always was picked last to play on any teams.



Yes, I enjoyed my leotards and tights. I hated the bangs my mom insisted I keep because of my high forehead. Today it would be considered very Zooey Deschanel.



For your viewing pleasure I'm posting a photo that still to this day makes me blush.
No girl should be forced to run around in a light blue spandex unitard. It is not flattering to any body type.

It's been fun. Now if only my turn-out were what it used to be.

2 comments:

  1. You were a great field hockey team mate! Pretty intimidating to the opponents chins. Glad to hear that you are dancing again. You were always graceful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you are dancing again! What a great idea for you. You could probably just teach the class if you wanted to :)

    ReplyDelete